The Flowers Bay Methodist Church, on the island of Roatan, is one of the oldest Protestant churches still in use in the Bay Islands. Local municipal archives have records of this church dating back to 1899 when the majority of the Bay Islanders were white planters. The first protestant churches in the Bay Islands, as well as Honduras, consisted of English speaking congregations. In the 19th century many of them, as in the United States, were split over the inclusion of blacks in their congregation.
During the "Banana Boom" of the late 19th century, Methodists opened churches along Honduras' north coast. Today, you can find predominantly black English speaking congregations in the towns of La Ceiba, Puerto Cortės, and many of those in the Bay Islands. According to historical records, the communities of Flowers Bay were among Honduras' key exporters of bananas, coconuts, and other tropical fruits to the U.S.
This is a historical building with a profound meaning for many generations of devout followers in the afro-descendant community of Roatan - a place where many have congregated to find refuge and retain their faith in God.